Frequently asked questions (FAQ’s)

Who needs therapy?
Sometimes we all struggle – with relationships, friendships, family or work.  Sometimes a life event, such as a loss or upheaval can leave us destabilised, feeling unable to cope, out of sorts, exhausted, upset, scared or confused. These are the times when we could all do with a little professional help and support.


Why a professional and not a friend?
A professional is trained to help and support you. He or she will offer you confidentiality, safety and anonymity. He or she undertakes an ethical investment in your well-being separate from thier own. Maintain your friends and friendships, and let the professionals do their work.


What type of things might bring me into therapy?
The answer to this is – anything really. We tend to live busy lives which demand much juggling and offer little support. Sometimes just finding the space to express yourself freely and “off-load” can be enough to resolve even complex issues. Common issues are:


  • Bereavement
  • Separation / divorce
  • Illness
  • Retirement
  • Change of life situations
  • Relationship Difficulties
  • Working / Life Demands
  • Feeling Overwhelmed
  • Feeling Confused
  • Feelings of Worthlessness
  • Stress
  • Anxiety
  • Low Mood
  • Depression
  • Panic
  • Confusion


Which Type of Therapy?
One size does not fit all, so finding a therapy that best suits your needs is imperative to its success and your benefit. An Integrative Approach is able to do just that.


Counselling or Psychotherapy?
A good question. Both counselling and psychotherapy are talking therapies, founded in the healing power of relationship.  Counselling is usually a briefer therapy, which may focus on the resolution of a single issue.  Psychotherapy is a more in-depth treatment for complex issues, and is likely to take place over a greater number of sessions.



What kind of therapist do I need?


A psychotherapist is a mental health professional who will have trained for four or five years and will have the knowledge to work with most presenting issues.  However, most psychotherapists have areas of special interest or experience.  Psychotherapists often work long term and the therapy may have a psycho-dynamic aspect, linking someone’s past to their current difficulties.


A counsellor works in much the same way as a psychotherapist, but usually their training is shorter (two to three years).  Counsellors may charge less than a psychotherapist and may specialise in shorter term work.


Some would argue that the terms psychotherapist and counsellor may be used interchangeably, since neither title is protected.  When selecting a counsellor or psychotherapist, it is always advisable to ask about their qualifications and experience and to check that they are a full member of a reputable professional organisation, such as the UKCP or the BACP.


Clinical Psychologist
Clinical psychologists hold a degree and a PhD in psychology and have usually worked in the NHS.  They typically charge more than a counsellor or a psychotherapist.  They often have a clinical specialism, such as working with eating disorders.


A psychiatrist is a doctor who has also qualified as a specialist in psychiatric health.  They will mainly work with people who have more severe mental health issues and, although talking therapy may form part of the treatment they offer, prescribing the appropriate medication will usually be a crucial intervention.


What to expect?
You will receive a warm and friendly response. We are happy to answer any questions and concerns over the phone. If you decide that you’d like to proceed with therapy, the next step is to meet with one of our assessment team to discuss your needs.

The assessment session, lasting up to 50 minutes, will be a thorough exploration of your needs. After the assessment, we will present you with a choice of appropriate psychological intervention.